Tree Rx: A Prescription to Recharge and Reconnect with Nature
“Ecotherapy,” a process of growth and healing by interacting with nature, is the new prescription for hundreds of health bloggers descending on NYC for the first-ever BlogHer Health conference.
From Jan. 30-31, The Davey Tree Expert Company will share insights on how trees help improve the mind and body. Davey tree experts will also share the importance of taking care of your trees. Healthy trees mean a healthier you.
According to The World Health Organization (WHO), nature offers numerous benefits, including a place to relax and recharge. In fact, being in a natural setting has therapeutic effects on mental health. And, by 2030, WHO predicts anxiety will be the #1 health issue, outranking obesity.
In today’s fast-paced society, ecotherapy is one of the best preventative medicines.
5 Ways Trees Improve Health and Wellness:
- Trees save lives. Trees save more than 850 lives a year by removing air pollution. (USDA Forest Service)
- Trees help you heal faster. Patients in hospital rooms that overlooked trees had shorter stays, marginally reduced complications and needed fewer intense painkillers. (Science Magazine)
- Trees keep you young and fit. Having 10 or more trees in a city block, on average, improves health perception in ways comparable to being seven years younger. Also, people who live near high levels of greenery are 40 percent less likely to be overweight. (Scientific Reports and BMJ)
- Trees reduce stress. Those living in urban neighborhoods with a sizeable tree canopy suffer less from depression, anxiety and stress. (BioScience)
- Trees radiate positivity. A 90-minute walk in a tree-filled space reduces people’s negative thoughts. Additionally, trees have been found to enhance mood and improve self-esteem. (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences and Journal of Environmental Psychology)
To reap these health and wellness benefits, we need to keep trees healthy. Just like people, trees need proactive checkups. Whether something prompts the appointment or it’s simply time for an annual checkup, an arborist is a tree doctor who can suggest preemptive steps to help trees live a long, healthy life.
Prescription for Healthy Trees:
- Perform a health check. Use this checklist to look for nutrient deficiencies, compacted soil, diseases/pests, mechanical/natural damage and soil compaction.
- Call a tree doctor. Schedule regular inspections with a Davey arborist, who will recommend “lifestyle changes” personalized for your specific trees. Preventative steps help trees stay healthy so they can better withstand storms, pests and diseases. Plus, it’s more cost-effective.
- Implement the plan. Protect your investment and keep your trees healthy by following your arborist’s seasonal tips. Trees need you to keep an eye on them and watch for potential hazards. They return the favor by providing you with health benefits for years to come.
This year, Davey’s tree doctors are focused on Tree Rx. Get outside, soak in your surroundings and take a closer look at your trees, or better yet, schedule a tree check-up.
With more than 9,000 employees throughout North America, The Davey Tree Expert Company provides solutions for residential, utility, commercial and government clients. Rooted in research, the company’s vision is to achieve balance among people, progress and the environment. Tree experts since 1880, Davey provides diversified tree services, grounds maintenance and environmental services. Davey is one of the largest employee-owned companies in the U.S. and is headquartered in Kent, Ohio.